Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Keto Day 1: Motivation and Purpose


Finding motivation and a sense of purpose is often difficult when faced with so many choices.

What I have found is that one of the key ways to help resolve my motivation and sense of purpose is to share my story and help people on theirs.

Wherever I go people are always interested in what, why and how I do things either with exercise or with diet. I find that I really enjoy giving out information and telling my story that it helps to give me the focus I need to remain on my own path.

One problem I find though is that sometimes I get so focused on helping and supporting other people that I fail to dedicate enough time for myself.

I’m lucky to have found a few people who are dedicated (perhaps obsessive is a better description) who I can bounce a few ideas off and are willing to experiment with their diet and training to challenge their beliefs and function outside of the box.

Case in point. I lent out my low carb endurance book to a work colleague who is a cyclist and within three days he had read the book, bought himself a ketone monitor and arrived at work with a bunch of questions about blood ketone readings, training and what sorts of foods he should be eating to get himself into nutritional ketosis. Talk about dedication! He even showed me his tracking spreadsheets complete with graphs.

Being surrounded by these sorts of people whether in close physical proximity or around the world connected by various social media and email really helps to keep me dedicated and living my life’s purpose.


Day one – nutritional ketosis

Ketone reading – 0.2 (I reckon I was almost bleeding sugar)
Weight – 80.0kg

Diet
Pre-ride: black coffee + 1Tbs coconut oil
Post-ride: 3 eggs (- 1 white removed) + 120g cheese + 3 brazil nuts
Snack: ¼ cup cream + long black
Lunch: Caesar salad (no croutons), Greek salad, salami
Afternoon snack: macadamia nuts, cream, black coffee
Run
Dinner: Spicy Country Chicken with steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower), walnuts

Exercise
0600: Ride 42km in 1:28 - felt strong
1800: Run 12km in 0:52 - ran from bus to home. Felt good which I was surprised at considering I'd consumed about 30gm of carbs today.


No comments:

Day 2: Early start

After discovering that my wife's bike had been stolen from the bus stop where I had chained it up for my ride home last night meant that...